Thursday, November 27, 2008

Thinking about squash

Little Sister found a recipe for stuffed acorn squash a while back and brought it for Sunday dinner a week or two ago. It was so yummy, stuffed with brown rice and apples and cranberries and who knows what else. I enjoyed the taste even as I knew that I was loading myself with carbs.

There's a difference between summer squashes and winter squashes, and that is carbohydrate content. Summer squashes have fewer; winter squashes have more. But is it enough to matter?

Here is the 100 gram serving (less than a cup in most cases) of raw, sliced summer squashes:
Here's the same serving set up for winter squashes:
One hundred grams is not equivalent to one cup in all of these squashes, so serving size will vary. I have avoided the winter squashes for years because of their comparatively high carb count, but I might want to rethink that. Smaller portions is, at some point, going to have to become as big a concern as carb count. Perhaps sooner rather than later? In the meantime, a little winter squash might be okay.

Of course, I will have to figure out which one is a hubbard squash, won't I?

No comments: