Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Safe water after flooding or power loss

Much travel back and forth, little time to blog, and now I'm home again and seeettttttlllling in. Still unpacking. Still getting my bearings in the house after too much absence. But already having fun in the kitchen. Now to get myself back into blogging mode . . .

One place to start is my ongoing concern for food safety. Ike left his mark on my psyche, for sure. I often find myself rethinking what we did to survive and what we can do to better prepare ourselves for the next storm. Since it looks like climate change (AKA global warming) is in full swing, I think we have to count on another storm hitting Houston sooner rather than later. If not Houston, then some other part of the Texas coast will be devastated. More than a day or two without power is serious hassle, even trouble, for a family; any level of flooding is a disaster.

I often turn to the U. S. Food and Drug Administration for food safety information. Although the agency has become more politicized over the years and has, I believe, let us down on more than one occasion, I do know that there are some fine Americans serving us there, people who are dedicated to protecting the public and helping consumers identify safe and effective products.

The FDA has produced a flyer on getting safe drinking water and protecting food supplies in the event of power failure or flooding. I think it's worth printing out and studying to see where our storm preparations can be improved. I can already see a couple of areas that I need to work on: adding refrigerator thermometers and elevating the water supply.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is a good idea to get the themometer for the freezer. I did put ice in freezer bags and ever time the icemaker made ice I put more in freezer bags. I did this when I found out Ike was coming. It kept the food cold. I put the food that was in refidge in the freezer after the power went off and it kept pretty good.
Big Kid Cousin

cwr said...

You did better than I did. I forgot to put the fridge food in the freezer. We put some in ice chests, when we could get the ice, but I just gave up on the veggies.

Even so, thanks for the ice!!!!