Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Christmas Toys (2)

I also helped Santa Claus out by picking up some new cutting boards.  The old ones were getting pretty chewed up.  Even though they went through the dishwasher after each use, the effect of much chopping made me worry that I would just be creating a haven for bacteria if I continued to use them.  The new ones are basic plastic cutting boards sold two in a pack at Walmart (Mainstays brand).  I chose the "letter" size as most convenient for storage and use on limited counter space. 

Last year I picked up some thin plastic sheets sold as cutting mats and found them to be quite handy.  They, too, had seen better days, so I got new ones at Walmart (also Mainstays brand).  These were sold three in a pack and were almost twice the size of the hard cutting boards. 

I am happy with the firm ones, less so with the mats.  The problem with the mats is that they now seem so large.  It doesn't help that my Yoshi knife made a brand new mat look very like one of the old ones after only one use.  Two chicken breasts, one onion, some green onions, and a couple of roasted red pepper sections--and the cutting mat is badly scored.  How long before the Yoshi blade slices completely through it?  This could be a problem. 

Still, I think I need to get more of the firm boards, since I can go through my entire supply of cutting boards before I ever get the dishwasher full enough to run.  If I do, I with try to check the label for dimensions and such before I toss the wrapping away. 

As for the old boards, I am still looking for potential new uses.  They don't seem to be labeled with recycling codes, so I expect they will go into a landfill if we don't figure out some other way to use them.  One, I have already mentioned, now serves as a "coaster" for the little tray that holds my vinegars and jar opener on the newly cleared counter.  This will prevent any rust from developing or staining the tile counter.  My prince may need one or two.  Repurposing will become a bigger issue as time goes on and we feel the need to replace more cutting boards. 

No comments: