Friday, October 3, 2008

Tuna-stuffed Eggs

Just for a change from Hurricane Ike, I'd like to highlight an online cookbook that I recently found. It's actually part of Dr. Richard Bernstein's book, Diabetes Solution. I found a PDF file of the book's recipe section on D-solve (a solution until there is a cure). To download the 344 pages of low carbohydrate recipes, click on the link for Additional Resources and then the link for Free Recipes. That will start the download of the PDF file.

This recipe for Tuna-stuffed Eggs is found on page 227 of the file.

TUNA-STUFFED EGGS

Makes 8 halves
Per egg half.
Effective carbohydrates: 0.3 g
Carbohydrates: 0.3 g
Fiber: 0 g
Protein: 7.4 g
Fat: 6.9 g
Calories: 93

I love the combination of tuna with anchovies and capers, but you can make one or both optional.

Ingredients:

4 hard-cooked large eggs, peeled
1 3 1/2-oz. can olive oil-packed tuna, well-drained and mashed
2 Tbsp mayonnaise
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
4 anchovy fillets, cut in half lengthwise
16 capers

Cut the eggs in half lengthwise and use a thin, sharp knife to take a tiny slice from the bottom of each half so it will sit firmly in place after stuffing. Scoop out the yolks with a small spoon and place in a small bowl. Set the whites on a platter.

Mash the yolks with a fork until smooth (or press them through a sieve). Stir in the tuna and mayonnaise. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Using a small spoon, stuff the whites with the yolk mixture. Cut each strip of anchovy in half crosswise and crisscross the pieces on top of each egg; garnish with the capers. Serve immediately or chill.
I tried this recipe today. I didn't have any anchovies, so I used bacon. I didn't read the garnish instructions (I am so bad with following recipes); I just chopped the bacon up and mixed it in. I liked the flavor pop from the capers, which meant I had to use more than two per egg.

The recipe is basically an inversion of tuna salad (putting the tuna in the egg instead of vice versa). It's a tad more sophisticated than my normal tuna salad, but, if I couldn't have pickles, I could at least have cayenne. The egg was nice and tasty, and then the cayenne kicked in. Mmmm.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The tuna eggs sound very good. I love deviled eggs and this sounds great. I can,t eat bread so this gives a new twist to tuna salad. I looked at the web site for those recipes and it has some good ones that I could eat.

Anonymous said...

Nice site... Why not apply an ad sense account?