Thursday, July 24, 2008

Clear liquid diet

Three guesses what I got to do yesterday and today. One of those days was spent consuming a clear liquid diet. The instructions for doing so were rather terse, so I went to Google to find something more. The Colorado Center for Digestive Disorders lays it all out in this discussion of what, why, and how. Particularly helpful was the nutrition information that they prepared for their sample menu.

  • Breakfast
Hot tea with lemon juice and 1 tsp sugar (no pulp); Apple juice (8 oz); Gelatin 1 cup
  • Lunch
Hot tea with lemon (no pulp) and sugar; Grape juice (8 oz); Fruit Ice (1 cup); Consommé (8 oz.)
  • Snack
Fruit juice (apple, cranberry or grape, 8 oz); Gelatin (1 cup)
  • Dinner
Hot tea with lemon and sugar; Apple juice (8 oz); Consommé (8 oz); Fruit Ice (1 cup)

Yikes! That's only 1000 calories but it's 237 grams of carbohydrates. Being clear liquids, there was no fiber to subtract, so this is the whole deal. Obviously, I managed to eliminate the added sugar and sneak in lots of sugar-free Jello. The juices had to be the real thing, since I had to have some blood sugar to measure.

All's well that ends well--(absolutely no pun intended; don't even go there!)--and all is well.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if I go on a clear liquid diet I am in trouble. I can't have the juice. just the sugar free jello. And all the carbs. I can't eat more than 30 day and that would be almost a week and half of my carbs. Hope they don't put me on one like that.

Moolady

cwr said...

Yeah, it did seem rather extravagant as far as carbs went. There was quite a bit of concern expressed about maintaining blood sugar levels in my case. They placed a lot of emphasis on measuring at least twice while consuming all that liquid. I had almost no carbs until my sugar level fell below 100, and then I consumed 12 ounces of white grape juice. I didn't much like it either. If I had to drink juice to raise my glucose level, I would so much have preferred orange juice. I really miss orange juice. Sadly, that is just not a clear liquid any way you squeeze it.