Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Morning grilling

Tuesday was a weird day. How I ended up grilling pork chops at 3 a.m. this morning may be due to the chaos of my schedule on Tuesday, but it may just as well be due to being next door to one of my more chaotic cousins. (Staying with Mama puts me right in the middle of CousinLand.) Next Door Cousin caught me as I was about to make a mad dash to the grocery store for a last minute grab of a sale item and invited me to come visit when I got in. That all of this was taking place after 10 p.m. puts both of us in the chaotic category.

Once I made it next door, we had a fine time talking and visiting. One thing led to another, and I started working on her old computer to try to get it to work. Two or three hours later, the computer was still laboring away, and I was hungry.

Next Door Cousin didn't suggest we pop some corn or offer me some little carrot sticks. Nope, she fired up her propane grill and threw some pork chops on after slathering them with butter and Grub Rub. I had hardly managed to switch out the CDs the comp was calling for when our impromptu breakfast of grilled pork chops and steak fries was ready.

I had not known how easy such a grill was to use nor how fast it could cook such delicious chops. This tells me that I need to look a little close at this way of cooking. It was nice not to heat up the kitchen, not to have more utensils to clean. It was also, I have to admit, kinda fun cooking at 3 in the morning and sharing tears and laughter with such a sweetie.

No comments: