Monday, July 14, 2008

Low carb food pyramid

As we all now realize, the USDA Food Pyramid supports the consumption of mass quantities of carbohydrates. If you have metabolic disorder or diabetes, following the guidance of the Food Pyramid can be disastrous. I was happy to find a "low carb food pyramid" on About.com. Here's their image:




The discussion of the various elements was quite enlightening, especially given that I first attempted low carb eating nearly 40 years ago. It was called the Air Force Diet back then (or the Drinking Man's Diet), but it's all--even today--some version of Banting.

Since there is such as thing as too much protein in one's diet (who knew?), I've been looking for more balance. I'm going to look this food pyramid over, read the articles that accompany it, and see what else I can do to keep from killing myself with food.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found a list that had 10 good snacks for diabetes. They are broccoli, carrots, apples, asparagus, beans, fish, nuts, oranges, soybeans and tea.
I also found that they have Sweet n Low cake mix and frosting. You could have your cake and eat it too.
Also I found a neat recipe for Root Beer Float just use 8 oz diet root beer and a scoop of nonfat vanilla frozen yogurt, it only has 90 calories.

Moolady

cwr said...

Those snacks sound about right, although I had never thought of beans as a snack. I've also avoided some fruits, including apples and oranges, because of the carb content. Soybeans are something that I am actively investigating. I think there may be a lot more ways to use those.

Cake is good. So is frozen yogurt. Portion control is still my problem.

Thanks for the heads up!

Zinho said...

Eating meat and eggs is probable the cheapest way to stay in a low carb diet for sure.