Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Cooking for one-and-a-half

Cooking for myself has it own challenges. Cooking for both Mama and me is a whole 'nother thing. Not only do we have the difference in taste preferences, there's also the problem of appetite. Mama eats like the proverbial bird (but not a real bird--they eat half their own weight each day). Me, a little more (than the bird).

I ran across this somewhat relevant article on how to cook for "just yourself." There are some interesting ideas for shopping, storing, and cooking for one person. "Try cooking sequences that use common bases" has worked for us. I can bake a chicken (we both are happy) and take the leftover chicken (and pot juices) to make chicken and dumplings for Mama (the dumplings are taboo for me) and chicken salad for myself. If there is still chicken left over, I can use it to flavor soup with fiber-rich veggies (again, both happy).

What I dislike about the article is the contradiction in recommendations to buy smaller packages so that food doesn't go to waste and to buy in bulk and throw the excess away because it's cheaper! Maybe the author should review recommendation #9: "Try cooking sequences that use common bases." Oy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would think that it would be better to get smaller portions, because it would go bad on me since I don't cook that much.

Big Kid Cousin