Monday, September 28, 2009

Precious memories

Have you ever been to the kitchen department--or a kitchen store--and coveted just about everything you see? Or have you been to someone's house, wandered into their kitchen, and seen things that you wish you had in your own kitchen?

Sometimes we get some of those things by gift or inheritance. Long ago, when my late grandmother had to close her house and move in with an aunt, I was given her old cast iron skillet. I've treasured that thing for nearly 40 years now. (It's taken almost that long to get some of the crusts off of it. I come by my housekeeping skills honestly.) When my late mother-in-law passed away, I was thrilled at the Pyrex casserole dishes that I inherited. Every time I take one out to use it, I smile with satisfaction that I have the perfect dish for what I want to do and #1MIL's hands have used it too. The connection feels real and very comforting.

Last week, Next Door Cousin was packing up some things for Good Will. By great good fortune (and the sad occasion of a leak near our front faucet), I happened to wander into her garage and just asked: "Anything I might want?" Sweet child. She opened up a gym bag and it was as if I had wandered into one of those wonderful kitchen stores. A vegetable steamer. Four short-handled spatulas. Assorted wooden spoons and other odd items that I had ask about. A working can opener. And--happy day--a full set of those aluminum nail things that you stick in the middle of a potato to speed baking.

These were clearly some old things that her late mother, our long time next door neighbor and very dear friend, had had. I happily took the whole bag home and cleaned everything up. The only reject in the bunch was a "church key" that got tangled up in the lid when I tried to open a can of tomato sauce with it. Everything else was a keeper (well, except for that red spatula that matched Big Kid Cousin's kitchen).

I'm using it all and thinking of NDC and her mother every time I do. "Cooking with love" takes on a whole new meaning when you have a good tool that not only does what you need it to but surrounds you with precious memories of the good cooks and sweet women who used it before you.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad of my red spatulas. When I use it I will think of all three of you. I probably should have kept some of Mother's things, but my son did keep her cast iron skillet and roasting pan

Big Kid Cousin

cwr said...

Glad you like it. It's nice to "be in your kitchen." :)

I still have your mom's dutch oven if you ever want it back. I am enjoying using her coffee mug, and a ceramic egg from her house sits on the shelf in front of me. I can share. :)