Friday, January 6, 2012

New foods (so far)

Google has a new interface for Blogger, its blogging software.  Pretty much like going snow blind, if you ask me.   Oh, well.

I always think I'm going to try new foods, but end up with (mostly) the same old ones.  On Wednesday, I tried not one but two new things!

The Oneth.  I love roasting ears of corn.  It's so much fun to go to a fair or carnival and find the vendor who roasts the corn.  Butter, salt, cayenne with that roasted flavor is just so yummy.  A couple of grocery stores on this end of Houston have food trucks outside their entrances that specialize in roasted corn.  I finally took the time to stop by one to get a couple of ears.

Sadly, they were out of whole ears.  The only choice was roasted corn in a cup.  So I tried it, replying when asked, "Everything."  I was expecting salsa or cayenne or something spicy.  What I got was butter and mayonnaise (heavy on the mayo) with a little cayenne and some lime juice.  Although there was definitely a taste of roasted corn, the result was very like an overdressed salad--way too much mayo and butter to enjoy the corn.  After a few bites, it became too much, and I didn't finish the cup.

Since the cup cost a whopping $3, I have to say I was disappointed all around.  I do intend to try again (someday) to get one of those roasted ears, but will definitely balk when offered one in a cup.

The TwothLeeks are not entirely a new item in my diet, but I can only recall purchasing them once before my last shopping trip to Kroger. They are about to become much more common.

I had been slicing the leeks and adding them to soups and stir-frys but, for the last one on the bundle, I decided to experiment with the leek as a standalone vegetable.  I had a little oil left from pan-frying some breaded chicken breasts, so I sliced the leek and tossed it in the pan along with the leftover bread crumbs. I seasoned with salt and garlic powder and deglazed the pan with some chicken stock.  After reducing the stock, I served the leeks with the pan-fried chicken and some mashed potatoes.

Definite yum.  Definite addition to the diet.

No comments: