Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Water matters

One of the things that My Prince does for me and Mama when he comes to town is help us stock up on water.  Mama has to drink steadily because of her kidney failure and constant UTIs.  We've been so successful with this "water therapy" that her kidney is (for now) stabilized at 29% function.  For my own part, I am very protective of my kidneys.  The diabetes is expected to wreak havoc on them at some point, and I take quite a few medications that challenge my kidneys already.  So far, blood tests and a recent sonogram say that they are in good shape, but I continue to want to do my part to keep 'em happy with lots of water.  After all, both my doctor and I agree that the knuckle of my big toe may well be harboring the intention of flaring up with gout if it hasn't given me a mild preview already.

We drink water.  Lots of it.  The water of choice is distilled

This costs $1-$2 per day.  We only buy gallon jugs, and, whenever possible, buy the house brand (Kroger's mostly).   We have been recycling the plastic water jugs, with My Prince hauling them back to Austin for recycling pickup and both of us cutting them down to create mini-tubs out of the base for sorting and storage needs. 

Recently I discovered an HEB store--Joe V Super Savers--in this area and liked their remarkably low price on gallon jugs of water.  Joe V's sells only small quantities of distilled water at a comparatively higher price.  Signage (and branding) seemed to indicate that it is intended for baby formula.  For the rest of us, it is "drinking water."   My Prince, a great reader of labels, pointed out to me that the water accompanying the labels was likely drawn from the Houston water supply.  I shrugged, assuming that it had been at least filtered and wanting to get this part of our pre-Christmas shopping done more quickly.  He picked up 20 gallons to help fill our supply shelves.

GAG!  It tastes like dirt!  

Now I could use these jugs to water plants, make flavored drinks (to cover the taste at least), or just pour them out.  No one would really know. 

Or I could get real:
  • Even Mama 's nephrologist says that distilled water is unnecessary.  She could use the trace elements found in the city water supply.  
  • I grew up on this water supply.  I've tasted much worse in both East Africa and Louisiana.  (Seattle's water was yummy, tho.)
  • All sorts of state and federal regulations protect the water supply.  I've even sat on committees that assured that that was so.
  • Chucking out all this water will only cost about $10 or $11, but it will add 20 more plastic containers to our recycling bin--for no useful reason.
Perhaps I just need to check the local water quality reports and be brave.  After all, eventually I will get used to the taste.

No comments: