Saturday, January 14, 2012

Low Carb Mexican Food

It seems like an alien concept to speak of Mexican food as low carb (and diabetic friendly), but a link to just such a concept popped up on my newsreader today.  About.com, which seems determined to cover the universe in their little multi-page articles concerning what and how, has several pages devoted to low carb Mexican food.  The discussion ranges from Mexican dishes that are already low carb, those than can be turned into low(er) carb, and how to survive eating out at a Mexican restaurant. 

Much of it we knew already (meat, dairy, eggs, some vegetables), but I was surprised to read a recipe for the already-low-carb chile relleno.  I had always avoided those batter dipped chiles, thinking that the batter was heavily starch.  That's what I get for assuming.  Chile relleno's "batter" is whipped egg whites. 

I've missed years' worth of what promises to be a tasty treat.  On my next visit to a Mexican restaurant, guess what I will be ordering?

No comments: