Thursday, June 17, 2010

Fiddling with the background

Yes, I am indeed fiddling around with the background of the blog.  Blogger (Google) now has more options for layout and color, and it is ever so much easier to switch and play than in the past.  I am still looking for the most comfy background--something that seems suitable, not too garish, but bright and inviting.  If you see something you like (or don't like) say so.  In the meantime, we may have a little more fiddling to do, although I do like wooden spoons.

I cook with wooden spoons all the time.  They are essential with any coated pan, but handy for stews and such.  I can lay the spoon across the pot lid and not worry about it getting too hot to handle.

Back in my wild and crazy youth, I collected all sorts of wooden implements.  I didn't know what to do with many of them; I just liked how they looked, and I was always on the lookout for new ones.  At some point, I finally had so many that I had to quit collecting them.  Right now they sit on my kitchen counter in Austin in a Marshall Pottery pitcher.  I should photograph them someday.  My favorite among them and one I use frequently is a paddle-like item that may have been intended as a cutting board but which works a treat for taking pizzas out of the oven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like the bamboo spoons. They last longer so they say. I don't know but I thought I would throw that in since I don't cook that much.

Big Kid Cousin

cwr said...

LOL! I like them, too. And they do seem to last longer. Bamboo is a renewable resource, a fast growing wood, that is becoming more common in flooring and other home uses in the US.

I didn't cook much either when I was collecting all my wooden utensils. Now I need to look at them again and see what I've been missing all these years. When I get to live at home, of course.