Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Rusty

It looks like I'm really rusty at blogging. A few months away from the keyboard and all sorts of errors are going to creep in. The last post (It's a Feast) was supposed to be scheduled for this morning. Instead it popped up yesterday afternoon. Grrr!

I think there may be a lot of that happening as I shake off the rust.

I spent some time yesterday re-reading a lot of what I had written in the past. There are some fairly sizable gaps in the past as well, related to storms and Mama's health and "events." I could also see that there have been quite a few changes in my thinking about food over time. More fresh, less canned. Still more creative than referential, but less experimentation with new foods. Even some of the foods that I had "discovered" in the past have disappeared as I revert to familiar vegetables and staples.

In some ways, I have gotten lazy about food. I still don't know the answers to how to live successfully as a diabetic nor how to keep Mama from wasting away without gaining weight myself. I have limited my shopping to the bare essentials, giving in to the physical limitations that have made it more onerous than fun. Age and infirmity have replaced the visceral fire that pushed me to push for a better world.

Boy, do I have a lot of work to do!

I think I better look at my labels again to remind myself about what's important--and get rid of the rust!

No comments: