Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The healthful pantry

Over at the Diabetes Self-Management site, Amy Campbell has embarked on a multi-part series that discusses what should be stocked in "the healthful pantry."  Diabetic or not, that's something that puzzles us all, so I think it's worth spending the time to read through her entire discussion.  Here's what she's recommending--so far:
  •  Condiments
    • Olive oil
    • Canola oil
    • Balsamic vinegar
    • Mustard
  • Spices, Herbs, and Canned Foods
    • Garlic
    • Herbs and spices (basil, oregano, rosemary, cumin, chili powder, black pepper, tarragon, cinnamon, nutmeg, and ginger)
    • Chicken, beef, or vegetable broth
    • Nuts and seeds
  • (More) Canned Foods
    • Canned beans
    • Canned tomatoes
    • Canned tuna (and salmon and sardines)
    • Peanut butter
  • Grains
    • Brown rice
    • Basmati rice
    • Arborio rice
  • (More) Grains
    • Barley
    • Quinoa
    • Bulgar
Dunno whether Campbell has finished her series, but, if not, I am looking forward to the next installment.  In the meantime, I comfort myself that I have all of these items in the pantry now, except for quinoa, bulgar, arborio rice, and tarragon. 

If I were quibbling, I'd add canned chicken to the list.  Her canned fish is listed partly because of nutritional value (despite the risk of mercury contamination) but also because of convenience.  Canned chicken is not, of course, as tasty as chicken that you've cooked at home, but there are times when it's mighty handy to be able to add a bit to salads and soups and Mystery Casserole.

Campbell's thesis--that you have no excuse for not making a healthful meal if you keep your pantry stocked with healthful items--does not eliminate the necessity to shop for the fresh foods that will accompany these basics (shall I call them "staples"?).  I do agree that we can thin our pantries by putting them on a more healthful "diet" that concentrates on these kinds of foods that support our own healthful diet rather than the less healthful/unhealthy sugars and starches and salts that we love to eat.  Indeed, I am working in that direction (again) myself.

No comments: