Friday, June 18, 2010

Tabasco in chili

Yuck!

My Prince and The Grandson both are heavy users of Tabasco.  They eat it on everything.  Breakfast, lunch, dinner, it's the seasoning of choice.

We all like spicy food.  My Prince will, lacking Tabasco, join me in adding red pepper flakes or cayenne to a dish as table seasoning (I under-season most dishes because of the diverse palates at my table).  This assures me that part of what he seeks is the peppery heat of the condiment.  

But Tabasco also has vinegary element to it that is just too pungent for my taste.  The men seem to like it and want that element as well as heat in their dishes. 

Imagine my delight when I recently purchased some cans of chili and spied the "hot" variety on offer alongside the plain.  I picked up several cans, thinking that this would suit all of the spicy-eaters just fine.  Imagine my horror when I actually read the label and saw that these cans of Hormel chili were specially spiced with Tabasco.  Talk about ruining a good can of chili.  The guys will love it, tho. (Yes, I tasted it.  No, I did not like it.)

No comments: