Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Eating seasonally

The cheapest fruits and vegetables are said to be those that are currently in season. I'm a city girl. What do I know about growing seasons?

This handy site fills the gap: Fruits and Veggies More Matters. Here's what's in season for the winter months (December, January, February):
  • Apples
  • Belgian Endive
  • Brussels Sprouts
  • Cherimoya
  • Chestnuts
  • Dates
  • Grapefruit
  • Kale
  • Kiwifruit
  • Leeks
  • Mushrooms
  • Oranges
  • Parsnips
  • Pear
  • Persimmons
  • Pummelo
  • Radicchio
  • Red Currents
  • Rutabagas
  • Sweet Potatoes
  • Tangerines
  • Turnips
  • Winter Squash
Once again, I have some issues. The dates would probably put me in a sugar coma. The grapefruit will counter half of the medications that I take with a similar result (coma). I have no clue what Pummelo is, but I have at least heard of Radicchio.

Nonetheless, I will start looking up the unknowns and give the knowns another look. Eating seasonally is cheaper--and better for the environment--so I need to try to do my part.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I looked up what pummelo is, it said that it is called "chinese gratefruit" It is larger that a gratefruit. I also looked up cherimoya it looks weird, some kind of blossom grown in California. They both look scary.
Big Kid Cousin