Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Top 10 healthiest foods?

According to Melissa Matinelli, The Atlanta Examiner's Food Examiner, these are the top 10 healthiest foods:
  1. berries
  2. broccoli
  3. citrus fruits
  4. garlic
  5. nuts
  6. oats
  7. salmon
  8. spinach
  9. tomatoes
  10. turkey
Hmmm. I'm good on berries, broccoli, garlic, nuts, and tomatoes. Not so good on the others.

We have begun eating more salmon, but not once a week or even regularly once a month. I avoid citrus fruits because of potential indigestion and sugar spikes. I may have to rethink oats, since Martinelli suggests that this grain is acceptable for diabetics (although I have my doubts about the value of the instant and flavored packages). I work spinach in as much as I can, but certainly not often enough and not fresh. Need to do better there. Turkey, well, there's only so much of that we can stand. Might rethink, but might not. I so do not like the smell of uncooked ground turkey.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It all sounds good but the broccoli. Also the doctor told me last week not to eat seafood if you are prone to get gout. I can't have too many carbs, so I;m lost on some of the others. I eat the turkey breakfast sausage every morning I keep it frozen until I put in pan. I let it thaw for a little bit and just cook it. It doesn't smell to me when frozen and when I cook it, it smell like any breakfast sausage.
Big Kid Cousin

cwr said...

LOL! You are so getting broccoli for dinner!

I keep getting nudges about turkey-based products, but I resist. I think it really was the smell of a package of ground turkey that did it to me. Maybe if I avoid that, I'll be okay.