Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Resistant starch

One of my Christmas presents was food (yea!) in the form of (gasp!) spaghetti. I laughed when I opened the package because I thought it was just a gag reference to the fact that I buy these huge packages of frozen meat balls for Mama's freezer and pop them out for a quick spaghetti dinner for Big Kid Cousin and Little Sister when I'm short of cooking time. BKC eats the meatballs, LS eats everything, and I try to stick with the meatballs but always end up wanting the spaghetti. I figured LS was giving me a gentle dig about a quick meal that I shouldn't be eating.

Not. LS is always thoughtful, always helpful. I should have remembered that.

When I got around to reading the package, I saw that it was supposed to have only 5 net carbs per serving. How could that be? The box said:
  • total carbs = 51
  • fiber = 5
  • protected carbs = 31
  • digestible carbs = 5
Huh?

What in the world are "protected" carbs? Could LS have been taken in by a deceptive health claim? Is this spaghetti made of hay?

This led to quite a few hours of puzzling over the matter and revisiting sources for more information about carbohydrates and fiber. As it turns out, there is something called "resistant starch" that may just be what the package is talking about. I particularly like what I read about blood sugar response to resistant starch:

Natural resistant starch helps maintain healthy blood sugar levels by increasing insulin sensitivity in healthy people. Incorporation of resistant starch into processed foods (i.e. as a flour substitute) reduces the glycemic impact of that food and increases insulin sensitivity, which research suggests may help to reduce the risk of type 2 diabetes.

Studies suggest continual exposure to elevated levels of insulin as a result of a high glycemic diet may contribute to reduced sensitivity by cells to the insulin (insulin resistance) and a higher risk of diabetes. As insulin resistance increases, the body produces more insulin to maintain adequate blood sugar control. With rising resistance, even more insulin is required, and the body may not be able to keep up or the pancreatic cells producing insulin may stop functioning.

Consumption of natural resistant starch by humans has been shown to result in decreased glycemic response in healthy individuals,[12] decreased glycemic response in diabetics,[13] and increased insulin sensitivity in healthy individuals.[14][15]

The spaghetti is Dreamfields brand. I'll be reading more about that company--and more about resistant starch--this year.

Thanks, Little Sister!


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hate to throw cold water on your theory, but the research on "resistant starch" is on starch proven to be resistant to digestion. I don't know how the Dreamfield's pasta is made, but it doesn't have resistant starch as an ingredient and there are no published studies confirming what it does in the body. If you want the benefits of "resistant starch", look for it on the ingredients list. Some foods have low levels of resistant starch (cooked and cooled pasta, rice and potatoes), but they usually contain less than 3-5 grams of resistant starch - nowhere near what Dreamfield's is claiming. Also beware of Ronzoni's SmartPasta - it has a chemically modified resistant starch that has no published studies either. Somebody figured out if they chemically treated starch enough, it wouldn't digest in the body, but there is no evidence that chemically treated resistant starch (from wheat, potato and some from corn) produces the benefits you cited either. The research on "resistant starch" has been done with natural resistant starch from high amylose corn (brand name Hi-maize). There are literally more than 70 published human clinical trials with this ingredient. Go to www.resistantstarch.com to see the evidence itself. You should ask Dreamfields to send you their scientific evidence - but certainly don't accept that it's the real "natural resistant starch".

cwr said...

Thanks for your comment, Rhonda. The whole concept of "resistant starch" is new for me, so I'm not ready to claim any theories. After some additional reading, I've at least figured out that Dreamfield's is not actually claiming "resistant starch" (my mistake). What they are basing their numbers on is a proprietary process, adding to the mystery. There are some positive "personal experience" reviews for Dreamfield's on the web, but I've yet to find any actual third-party research. I haven't tried the pasta yet, but will likely do so soonish. I'll also be checking glucose levels to see how it works out for my own body.

In the meantime, I have to say that I feel a tad more secure just looking at carbs and fiber until I learn more about what resistant starch is, how it works for diabetics, and whether I need to add it to the pile of things to take into account before the fork leaves the plate.

Thanks for your help!