Friday, January 2, 2009

A new way to look at carbs?

Sometimes I wander over to the world's healthiest food site to look at whatever they are posting as their food of the week. My most recent visit was drawn by the article called "A new way to look at carbohydrates." The article does a nice job of explaining some fairly complex (to me) ideas about what a carb is, what's in a carb, and how various elements in carbs work in the body.

I was intrigued to read about "resistant starch," since I'm always looking for ways to toss out some of the total carbs in food. I already try to toss out fiber, knowing that it's not digested and, therefore, will not affect blood sugar or weight gain (or loss). Resistant starch is, however, something that I sadly fear I cannot toss out. It looks like we will still get the effects of starch from this part of the carbohydrate, but on a kind of delayed reaction. Our body will digest it (and make us sorry that we ate it), just not right away.

Oh, please, correct me if I'm wrong!

No comments: