Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Potato starch

Duh!

I'm just figuring out that what I'm reading is telling me that bigger and older (in potatoes) means more starch. New and small means less (but not "no starch"). I must learn more.

In the meantime, I got to see an episode of (something) with Jacques Pepin. Actually I saw several episodes of several somethings with Jacques Pepin, since it was Jacques Day on that station. In this particular episode, he kissed a fish, demonstrated how to debone a cooked trout, and took some starch out of a potato.

Chef Pepin (who can make even a potato sound romantic) grated some medium white potatoes. He said that some of the starch could be removed simply by washing off the resulting pile of grated potato, but it was faster to just wring it out. And he did just that: took a pile of grated potato in two hands and squeezed it out over a bowl. I was shocked by the amount of liquid (all cloudy and starchy) that he got out of those potatoes.

I'm not looking forward to grating potatoes like that, but when My Prince will just about die if I don't let him have some real potato, I think that that will be the way to get some of the starch out of it. I'm not putting fish eggs on it, though.

No comments: